Does the physical item involve components within or attached directly to the reactor vessel; equipment that controls the level of power in the core; and/or equipment or components that normally contain or come in direct contact with or control the primary coolant of the reactor core? (Consult 10 CFR 110.26 & Appendix A to Part 110)
The NRC provides an illustrative list of the types of reactor-related physical items covered by 10 CFR 110 in Appendix A:
- Reactor pressure vessels, i.e., metal vessels, as complete units or major shop-fabricated parts, especially designed or prepared to contain the core of a nuclear reactor and capable of withstanding the operating pressure of the primary coolant.
- On-line (e.g., CANDU) reactor fuel charging and discharging machines, i.e., manipulative equipment especially designed for inserting or removing fuel in an operating nuclear reactor.
- Complete reactor control rod system, i.e., rods especially designed or prepared for the control of the reaction rate in a nuclear reactor, including the neutron absorbing part and the support or suspension structures therefore.
- Reactor primary coolant pumps or circulators, i.e., pumps or circulators especially designed or prepared for circulating the primary coolant in a nuclear reactor.
- Reactor pressure tubes, i.e., tubes especially designed or prepared to contain both fuel elements and the primary coolant in a nuclear reactor.
- Zirconium tubes, i.e., zirconium metal and alloys in the form of tubes or assemblies of tubes especially designed or prepared for use as fuel cladding in a nuclear reactor.
- Reactor internals, e.g., core support structures, control and rod guide tubes, fuel channels, calandria tubes, thermal shields, baffles, core grid plates, and diffuser plates especially designed or prepared for use in a nuclear reactor.
- Reactor control rod drive mechanisms, including detection and measuring equipment to determine neutron flux levels within the core of a nuclear reactor.
- Heat exchangers, e.g., steam generators especially designed or prepared for the primary, or intermediate, coolant circuit of a nuclear reactor or heat exchangers especially designed or prepared for use in the primary coolant circuit of a nuclear reactor.
- External thermal shields especially designed or prepared for use in a nuclear reactor for reduction of heat loss and also for containment vessel protection.
- Any other components especially designed or prepared for use in a nuclear reactor or in any of the components described in this appendix.
- Appendix A to Part 110—Illustrative List of Nuclear Reactor Equipment Under NRC Export Licensing Authority
Final determinations as to export control applicability are made after a full review by the appropriate U.S. Government agency. Use of this Export Compliance Guide does not constitute U.S. Government review, is not DOE/NNSA advice or a determination, and is provided for the user's convenience only.